The poetry book is coming along! I’m in the final pass before formatting, making last minute changes and getting rid of stray lines I don’t like. I can’t say I LOVE everything in the collection, but I like everything, so that’s good. ^_^
The next step is to decide on some design elements. I have vague ideas of what I want. I don’t really like random sketches in my poetry books, so I’m not doing that. The plan is some kind of decorative thing to lead into each section, and then some kind of picture at the end of each section. I’ll be making decisions this weekend, I hope.
I say “hope” because I’m doing a sleep experiment. Lol! I’ve felt so good mentally not having a deadline for my fiction projects, that I decided to forgo a daily task list in general to see if it’ll help with my stress-levels, which in turn, should help me get more sleep. The quality of my sleep is good these days, so quantity is my next sleep beast to tackle. Basically this means, rest is my main priority. I got information from a nutritionist about endocrine problems, and basically, the absolute best way to balance it is to get enough rest, and for a spell, I will need more rest than usual while my body is in repair mode, or whatever.
I’m actually rather excited to see if this works. The first time I went on vacation just to loaf, I slept most of the day the first day, and half of the day the next day, and it was so needed! I felt so much better. It’s going to take more than a couple of days of sleeping this go around, that was seven years ago, but yeah…excited.
Anyways, editing poetry is interesting. Because of its short form, I can’t just look for “problems” or typos or whatever. I have to think about what I’m trying to say and see if I accomplished that, in my opinion. I’ve definitely had a few poems I’ve struggled with because I didn’t know what I was trying to say. And there was one that I knew what I was trying to say, but I was having trouble articulating it.
For those poems, it was mostly a few lines that were causing the problem. So with some deleting, some adding, some rearranging, and rewriting, I’ve managed to get to a happy place with those stray beasts thus far without having to delete anything. Satisfaction. 🙂
Most of the poetry, thank goodness, hasn’t given me a hard time. I actually have an entire section that wasn’t difficult to write at all. In fact, I almost couldn’t stop. It was so cathartic. ^_^
The edits have largely consisted of minor fussing over words, a line or two, or punctuation, the few poems that have that going on. So, yeah. I’m having a good time. 😀
If nothing else, I should be done with this latest pass by the end of the weekend. I’m more than halfway through, and I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head that’s bothering me, so it might go by a little faster than this first half. I have a nice long list of poetry tasks that need to be accomplished each month to stay on track for my August publication date. I had to do this, so I could relax and know that everything was fine. And also, so I could work on it for a week or so and then get back to the fiction. Things are looking good. 😉